Monday, June 06, 2005

What's more olde tymey than pecan pie?

Pecan Pie made with Blackstrap Molasses!


I spent the weekend in Shutesbury, MA with Gargamel. As thanks to Gargamel's dad for letting me stay at his place, I offered to bake a pie. I had just gotten a new pie recipe book that contained SECRETS OF PERFECT PIE CRUST, which as anyone knows, are often elusive to even the bettyest of the crockers.

So I offered to make pie. Old Mr. Mel is partial to pecan pie and happened to have some pecans in the freezer. As he was routing through, he noticed that he had some frozen pie shells as well. Gargamel was able to swiftly intervene so I didn't have to get all Ma Ingalls on the poor guy, lecturing about how frozen pie crusts were instruments of the devil.

See, back at Thanksgiving, there was this incident... G and I went out to his dad's to celebrate a belated Thanksgiving with a whole gaggle of his family. I brought my bourbon pecan pie. (The holidays force me to add bourbon to everything: Bourbon Balls, Bourbon Turkey, Bourbon Carrot Sticks!) Some woman ALSO brought pecan pie (sans bourbon)and our competing pies were placed next to one another on the counter. After dinner, (during which time Faux Pie Lady amazed everyone with her interpretation of Antipasto... i.e. jar pickles and lettuce and american cheese! Why you would bring this to the Di Nardi family thanksgiving is unclear) while the pies were being sliced (and mine was being eaten) FPL and I and G got into a conversation about pie. She commented on how easy pecan pie was to make, I mean all you have to do is get one of those frozen pie crusts, make the filling and bake. EASY!

G looked on in amused horror as I set my plate and fork down, looked the woman right in the eye and said with mock innocence, Oh. You don't make your own crust??? She looked at me like I WAS CRAZY and said, Honey, I have four kids, I don't have time to make my own pie crust. I replied, So did Ma Ingalls.

I am such a bitch sometimes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

not to keep up the whole stalking impression morgan has so thoughtfully crafter for me, but i agree with you SO MUCH about the pie crust thing that i think perhaps we are cooking soul mates. real pecan pie is delicious. -grace

The Schooligan said...

you can stalk my anytime, grace. especially since you know a thing or two about a thing or two... oh, and GO BROWN BOOK AWARD!!! WOOOOO!