Friday, December 16, 2005

Ice Cubes

We had this totally annoying "ice storm" today. It was hyped as being completely HEINOUS and fucking up everyone's commute, so when my alarm (translation: hungry cat) began licking my head at 6.30 this morning, I eagerly got up to check the local school and business closings. No luck. Cock is 100% open. And here I am.

Honestly, the driving was fine. The worst part was scraping all of the ice off my car, which was COMPLETELY encased. I have this spray can of "de-icer" that um, sort of worked, with a lot of scraping and hacking and warming up of the car. So, actually, maybe it didn't really work. I did forget my gloves and froze my fingers off trying to scratch a peep hole in my windshield, so I treated myself to a Starbucks Mocha on the way to work. The warm cup managed to thaw my hands somewhat.

I went climbing with Forrest last night at Metro. The drive to Boston was typically horrid, but I was totally unphased and sat calmly in traffic drumming my fingers on the steering wheel and belting out "Goody Two Shoes". Like I said, I think the drugs are working. Yeah, that's right: FUCK YOU BRAIN ROBOT!

The climbing was good. F. convinced me to take my lead test, not because he particularly cares about me leading but so that I could give him authorized lead belays. I convinced the "lead test administrator" to let me lead a wickedly easy 5.7, and I passed with no trouble. I let him think I was a bumbling Noob, but then he noticed my torn and bleeding hands and said, "Oh, you must climb outside a lot." I confessed that I wasn't inexperienced, rather I was just lazy. He laughed and we exchanged climbing stories while he upgraded my ID from "Top Rope Access" to "Leading Access".

So there is one thing ticked off my "Thursday Thirteen To-Do List". Oh, and I made that gingerbread house too. And I totally ate those chips. Wheeeee! I am making such progress! (Am HONEST-TO-GOD going to paint this weekend.)

Bourbon Balls

Ok, here is the recipe for the Bourbonyest of Balls:

-Mash up about 50-60 Nilla Wafers into tiny pieces (Use the generic store brand, as they all taste slightly stale anyway, and why spend more money?)
-Melt about 1/2 bag of chocolate chips (or 2 discs of imported Mexican chocolate, yes, I am a chocolate snob.)
-Add... 1/4-1/3 c. corn syrup to the melted chocolate and mix together.
-Dump chocolate mixture onto Nilla wafers, and add about a cup or so of chopped pecans.
-Pour your favorite bourbon* liberally over the mixture. I think you are supposed to use about 1/4-1/3 of a cup. I use more. And noone complanins.
-Mix all together with fingers. If you find the mixture a bit too wet (because of excessive liquor or whatever), add some more cookies, or a wee bit of cornstarch, or shredded coconut (my favorite).
-Roll into small balls with hands and then roll balls into colored sprinkles, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, crack, whatever.
-Put into a covered container overnight and let them... ripen**.
-Enjoy!

*Because the alcohol isn't cooked in any way, I like to use a nice bourbon, like Maker's or Knob Creek. Last year, I used Basil Hayden's, but this year I am too broke for that kind of extravagance. Just don't use something crappy, Old Crow, Ten High, Rebel Yell (Oh dear god, please not the Rebel Yell. I got really drunk on a climbing trip on this shit and was seeing double the next day. Not ideal when trying to sport climb; "which bolt should I clip? I see four..."), because you will totally be tasting it.
**You can let them sit for weeks, or even months. My friend Secret Agent Sands found some bourbon balls in his car in... like... August, and they were STILL GOOD. Perhaps better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU FOR SENDING ME SOME BALLS!