Thursday, May 05, 2005

The ratio of people to chocolate is TOO HIGH

So, the TSV is relentlessly annoying. You may remember my candy jar from previous posts (too lazy to dig out the link. go back to myspace if you are that interested in the candy jar episode), the one that I keep on my desk and use to fuel my candy obsession...

Anyway, there is this unspoken law of office etiquette that every so often someone or another will give me a couple of dollars and contribute toward keeping the candy jar full. Sometimes I just buy it myself because I am a chocolate glutton. Sometimes we order from OfficeMax. I keep a half-assed log about who gave me how much money and when, but I don't use it for purposes of withholding candy from the people don't fund the jar. I don't actually use the log for anything, I think I just do it knowing that someone, someday will care.

That someone is TSV.
Last week he gives me TEN DOLLARS and says he is contributing to the candy fund. Cool, thanks. Then he asks me if I keep track of who donates money. I mention that I have sort of a log. Then he tells me that I need to actively solicit money from the entire department. Uhhhhhhhhhh. No? I mean, really, if someone did that to me, I would be agast at how petty and cheap they were being.

So, I sort of hemmed and hawed about how it was ok, and i didn't mind buying candy every so often, etc. etc. (Oh, and did I mention that I am carrying two huge boxes of proposals down to the mailroom to ship out? Yeah. I am.) He keeps going on about how that is an appropriate thing to do, oh, and one more thing, I shouldn't keep chocolate in a "transparent container" because people can see it and then they tend to eat it.

The way I see it there are two possible solutions to this dilemma:
1. TSV can GET OVER IT
2. TSV can buy his OWN DAMN CHOCOLATE and keep it monitored to his liking

Jeremy and I are working on a spreadsheet with graphs that chart who is eating how much chocolate and how frequently and we are going to present it at the next all company meeting.

Right after we tell TSV to suck it!

No comments: