Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Obligatory Rumney Recap

On Sunday, the Reverend, Boulder and I headed up to Rumney for some climbing. Along the way we picked up Ben and Mike and then lost them somewhere around the main parking lot. Once everyone was regrouped we headed to Orange Crush where I goaded Ben into leading an obscenely wet 5.8 (It totally looked dry from where I was standing). But just to be a good sport, I lead it as well. We then had the brilliant idea of rapelling down to Lower New Wave instead of walking the 25 yards and managed to lower ourselves right into a group of very perplexed hikers.

After playing around on some more easy stuff, I get the bright idea to lead this 5.11a, you know, cause it was there. Of course I can't get past the crux which was pulling up and over a roof, but I do attract some attention by falling off about a jillion times in a row. Ben eventually finishes the route, but only to get his quickdraws back.

The next day we do the death march up to the Hinterlands where I manage to A) spook myself climbing Dolt (5.9) by finally admitting that all the rock is super loose and B) Flail shamelessly on a 5.11c/d. I have this thing where if someone sets a top rope, there is no reason I shouldn't try the climb, so I am frequently involved in these major flail fests. About the 47th go at the crux, Mikey calls up to me, You're climbing much harder these days. I didn't get the move, but I did feel like slightly less of a three legged water buffalo.

We finished the day at Jimmy Cliff where I surprised myself by flashing Hammond Organ (5.10d). I thought, I'm exhausted, there is no way I can climb this, but I did. And it was surprisingly doable. Climbing that made all the mosquito swatting and scratching at huge red welts entirely worth it.

End Geek Rant.

No comments: