Thursday, December 29, 2005

Post Holiday Frenzy!

This week I seem to have all sorts of engagements with people who are around for the typical "ONE NIGHT ONLY!". It's awesome because, you know, I love my friends, especially the ones I don't see all that often. (Kidding!) But dammit if it ain't exhausting.

Last night, my friend Tim*, who moved to San Francisco in 2004 (Thanks a lot, buddy.), wanted to have a climbing reunion. Since this is December in New England, we headed out to Metro Rock. We met up with Mikey and began a night of some serious climbing. Admittedly, I have been extremely lazy lately, but I was determined to keep up with the boys and not make an ass of myself in the process.

I started off by climbing a 5.10a/b. That was my warm up. And I did it without too much trouble. Then I climbed a 5.10b/c that Mikey had set. I fell twice on some difficult sequences, but managed to pull off the route without too much trouble. The boys then did a dicey .11a, I opted out of that one and instead hit another 10b/c that I completed without my usual amount of jackassery. I did a 5.9 called "Contortion" that was insanely awkward (hence the name) and made even more interesting, by having a hold that was completely loose that spun around when you stepped on it. Wheeeeeee! And finally, I did most of a 10c/d that I totally could have finished had I not been exhausted.

Blah blah blah, climbing, boring, blah.
Yes, I know. But it was awesome to have a reunion with my "climbing family", or at least part of the family. (Adam and Shruti, I miss you! I know you are having an amazing time in India and Sri Lanka, but dammit, it's not the same without you guys.)

For the Apres Climb, we met Forrest and Suzanne at Tokyo City, a Japanese place in Allston. If there is anything better than sushi post-climbing, I don't know about it. I sort of wish that I had a transcript of our dinner conversation. (although the incrimination factor would be absurdly high, but for oce we were NOT the most obnoxious table in the restaurant. IMAGINE!)
Some highlights:
"Can you imagine getting wasabi in your pee hole?"
"What?"
"Getting wasabi in your Urethra."
"Oh."
>pause< "I think pee hole sounds so much worse."

"You should try deep fried Oreos"
"Deep fried Oreos?"
"Yeah, tempura batter them and then fry them. So good."
"How about deep fried grilled cheese sticks?"
"Ewwww. Gross."
"You're telling me to deep fry OREOS and you think a fried grilled cheese is gross????"
"Have you seen that grilled cheese on e-bay with the Virgin Mary on it?"
"The one with bites out of it? Yeah."
"Isn't it like 30 years old or something?"
"Oooh! I heard about one guy who found the image of Mary and Jesus on a Funyun"
"A Bunion???"
"No! One of those like, onion ring snack things."
"Yeah, and then there was that Dorito that looks like the Pope's hat."
"Why does God like to appear on junk food so much?"

*Here are Tim and I on the last day of our climbing trip in Red Rocks, NV. (Please note that I am lounging on a crash pad and not actually climbing.)
Red Rocks NV 3-05 096

No comments: