Thursday, March 30, 2006

Thursday 13



Thirteen Wines* You Should Totally Try Right Now!



1. Terra Unico- I don't know much about this one, except that for being in the 2 for $10 bin it's pretty fucking good. Like, so good you wouldn't guess it were so damn cheap. I usually buy 2 or 3 bottles at a time to keep on hand.

2. Madfish Chardonnay- Hands down one of the best out there. Tingly, crisp (for a chard.), and goes well with EVERYTHING. When I waited tables, I would reccommend this one to any table that would listen, and noone ever disagreed with me. Retails for about $13, and like many Australian wines, is a hell of a bargain.

3. Madfish Shiraz- Not as good as the Chard. but a nice, full, drinkable wine.

4. St. Francis Zinfandel (California)- I once made a gross faux pas by serving this as an accompaniment to a gumbo. It picked up all the spicey, peppery flavors of the gumbo and set everyone on fire. However, served with chocolate cake, it is magnificent with the pepperyness. Resonably priced around $20.

5. Wild Horse Chardonnay (California)- Tied with Madfish as my favorite chard. This one is soft, creamy and decadent tasting. One of the best ways to spend $17. I once gave it as a thank-you gift for borrowing someone's truck to move a sofa and it was a hit.

6. Wild Horse Pinot Noir- Not as good as their chard. but definitely worth trying. I often find that pinots tend to feel weak to me. Like with a little more try they could totally kick ass, but don't. (Yes, I have seen Sideways and I can't understand what all the fuss was about.) This one is a notable exception and the light, fruitiness is just right. (I had this for the first time while camping at Starvation Lake, UT.)

7. Frog's Leap Merlot- Fuck you Sideways for keeping people from ordering California merlot. This is THE BEST I have ever had. It's velvety and smooth and seduces your tastebuds so you feel like you are doing something very naughty. (Oh, wait. That was AFTER I drank it.) I bought my first bottle when I was making about $80 a week working the off season on the ranch, so a $40 bottle of wine WAS an obscene indulgence. But I have never regretted it.

8. Southern Right Sauvignon Blanc- An amazing South African white. Actually, one of the best South African wines period. Clear, sharp (without the pucker factor), citrus flavors create a sexy party in your mouth. I think it's around $12 at max.

9. Taylor Fladgate Tawny Port- I am not a huge fan of Port, or sweet dessert wines in general. Overly sweet alcohol makes me wince and feel like my teeth are rotting out of my head with every sip. I got this as a present for someone who wanted to try Port but didn't know a thing about it. It came as a reccommendation for the Port neophyte, and I can see why. Not overly sweet, and syrupy, but pleasant and made me want a cigar and a smoking jacket. Goes for $20-25 a bottle.

10. Little Penguin (any)- Like a lot of the Australian wines these days, this is inexpensive ($7 or so) and yummy. The shiraz is especially good, but the Cabernet blend is also lovely. This is a wine for someone who doesn't think they like red wine.

11. Erath Pinot Noir- Oregon does well with this one. I had it a few weeks ago at The Struck. A friend and I were sitting in the bar enjoying a quiet, sophisticated evening (ha!). I know the manager over there, and they let me try out... all of their red wines before choosing one**. Gotta say, the Pinot won. Not weak, like other pinots, fruity, not dry, great for sipping while wearing kicky heels. About $16 a bottle.

12. Rancho Zabaco Dry Creek Zinfandel (California)- I used to be all about the Zin. (That's red, not white.) It always seems like a wine to drink to make it look like you know about wine. But seriously, for $17, this is a great drink, especially if you aren't certain you like strong red wine. It's strong and flavorful without biting your tongue off. Punchy. Like me.

13. Wishing Tree Shiraz- Don't let the screw top fool you, this is a pretty nice wine. Another example of a y ummy Austrailian wine for about $11. A little bit of spice, a little bit of fruit. Enjoy with dinner, or alone.

*I don't know what gooseberries after the first frost taste like, and neither do you. So I am using "layman's terms" to describe these.
** They really wanted to sell me on the Malbec. Bleck. All of the Malbecs I have had taste musty and dank. Like, they were dug out of HP Lovecraft's crypt or something.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!




10 comments:

Froggie said...

mmm.... This is an awesome list... I'm writing some of those down right now. I love red wine but never know which one to get or what to pair it with for food. Thanks for posting this!!!

I'm playing this week. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big wine connoisseur and I probably spelled that wrong anyway, but it was an interesting list nonetheless! My 13 is up :)

Kimmy said...

Very interesting list!

You did a wonderful job!

Can I have a bottle of Fuji water, please? ;)

My 13 are up!

Anonymous said...

Wow - intersting list. I'm not big on wine - don't really like it. Maybe I just haven't tried the right one. Is there any that tastes like candy!

Playing 13!

Courtney said...

I haven't tried any of those. Although I'm not really much of a wine person. I'm more of a beer girl. Or tequilla is always good too. My TT is up.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this list. I don't recognize a lot of these.

My 13 are up, too.

Natalie said...

Interesting list! ;)

Kate said...

yum. I'm saving this list.

mine are all about going down the hatch too.

Norma said...

Hey. A Thirsty Thirteen. I love wine descriptions even though I only buy 3 buck chuck.

My TT 3-30 is up--scroll down.

Anonymous said...

I have been most amazed lately by the Oregon Pinot called Domain Serene. Wow!, it is so Pinot Noir that it is beyond Pinot Noir. If you could imagine. It's $23 a bottle though but I think it is the most enjoyable bottle I have had in years.
Ryan