Monday, September 18, 2006

All's fair

Bud

A few weekends ago my sister and I were looking for something free to do on a Sunday afternoon and we discovered the Sterling Fair. For a low, low admission price of nothing, we got to watch a tractor pull, see a 600 lb pumpkin, pet goats, rabbits and cows, and fall in love with some draft horses. We also ate the best buffalo wings EVER, but those cost $6. (Still, a bargain.)

I was psyched that my sister was as riveted as I was to the draft horse pulling competition. (I mean, the draft horses were pulling things, not being pulled.) We literally could not tear our selves away from the action, and were heartbroken when our favorites, Bob and Pete, dropped out after 11,200 pounds.

I had an embarassing experience at the pharmacy today. I went in to pick up my prescriptions and when I told the clerk my name he looks at me and says, Hey! You're Devon's sister. I admitted that I was and then immediately thought, Oh god, please don't look at what drugs I'm getting. Now, I know that pharmacy people are supposed to be all discreet and non judgemental, but come on, I would totally check out who was getting what and silently marvel. It's like the postman (or woman) reading postcards, who wouldn't?

As soon as I had that thought, David (according to his tag) came back with my drugs and started ringing them up. He glanced down at the package and leaned toward me and said, Oh, do you have epilepsy too? I blushed and said, No, I had other things wrong with me. David gave a a small smile and said, Oh, I take the same medicine for my epilepsy.

On one hand, I thought I would seem more normal if I did have epilepsy, instead of my own personal mood disorder, but then I also felt sort of bad that I couldn't share a moment of solidarity with the nice epileptic pharmacy clerk. Then I just felt like a huge dork having an awkward conversation with a friend of my brother.

So my sister and I cotten-eyed-Joed back to my car and wondered exactly what had happened to ruin the marriage a long time ago. Stupid Cotton Eyed Joe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's David Belanger. He once got excused from school for having an epileptic seizure. It's times like that which I find myself wishing that I myself had epilepsy.