Thursday, October 26, 2006

Hot Diggity! It's Thursday 13!

13 Outdated Phrases That I Love and Use Without Knowing Exactly What They Mean.

1. Ass over teakettle- As in, falling. Confusing imagery, but fun to say.

2. 23 Skidoo!- I don't think anyone knows exactly what this one means, but it goes well when followed up by dashing off stage right whilst holding a football.

3. Raining fishhooks and hammer handles- Pa said this once in one of the Little House on the Prairie Books, and I just love it. Much more dangerous than “cats and dogs”.

4. See a man about a horse- Wonderful for making a mysterious departure when really, you are just going to the bathroom or something.

5. Dog and Pony Show- Sometimes Cock is just one big dog and pony show. Or one big corporate circle jerk, depending on whom you ask.

6. Bum’s Rush- My mom used to say this, usually apologetically, “I hate to give you the bum’s rush…” Makes me smile.

7. Blow it out your ear- I think Homestar said it, and therefore it may or may not have any actual meaning. Or maybe it’s just a polite way of shoving it up someone’s ass.

8. Nervous as a whore in church- Hee hee.

9. Nerved up- To the point of complete confusion, “I’m so nerved up I don’t know what I’m doing.”

10. Mommy drinks because you cry- What I say to my cats when they won’t shut up.

11. The road to hell is paved with good intentions- Or, coulda, shoulda, woulda.

12. Curse like a longshoreman- Uh, see 1-12.

13. Off the wagon- Me? Never.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are great. :) As Ghost said, it can be interesting to look them out, and figure out how they came about.

Happy TT. :)

Anonymous said...

Ha, what a great list! #11 is my fav.

Chaotic Mom said...

I agree! Look 'em up! I use some of these, as well. ;)

I've posted my Thursday Thirteen, too. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Homestar" "Blow it out your ear"?

Gee, I can recall, "Shove it up your nose, blow it out your ears and rub it in your hair" from the 70s... but I have no idea of its etymology.

Cool list, though.

Would you like and apple or a cherry pie with that?

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ghost:

You hit on one of the things I hate about politicians *spit*: they are all evolved from dung beetles (you can tell cos they have the same silly sh*t-eating grins).

*heh*

Anonymous said...

LOL "Nervous as a whore in a church!"

Happy TT!

Sparky Duck said...

I love this list, ive used man about a horse forever and nervous as a whore in church will end up in my vocabulary for sure.

Anonymous said...

Indeed. I do so enjoy your list. It was the bee's knees!

I also enjoy the term 'riding shotgun', it dates back to the Oregon Trail when the person next to the driver of the wagon would hold a shotgun and guard against wily animals and unruly native americans with smallpox.