Tuesday, January 02, 2007

2007: The year of the wing.

I'm still wondering how the holidays and a whole year managed to slip by without me realizing it. All I realized is that I am old and lame and went to bed at 12:02 the other night.

I hosted a family party (and I dipped no one's hand in a jar of acid) on New Year's Eve. I don't know what I was thinking when I agreed to that, but it certainly wasn't "I hope that every chicken wing in the world makes its way to my house." Luckily my brother invited a bunch of his friends over and force fed them wings. I don't even like wings, and I especially don't like finding them in drawers, behind furniture and under the dishwasher. (I just discovered an ENTIRE TRAY of uncooked wings chilling on my back porch. Ahhahahahahah.) I declare 2007 to be the year of the Wing.

I think the best part of deciding to have this party (which actually turned out all right, all wings considered) was getting sick the Wednesday after Christmas and lazing about in bed until Sunday when I organized a frantic oh my god people can NOT see how I live, must scrape pigeon shit off the stairs, who's idea was it to make wings anyway, cleaning binge.

I don't know what was/is wrong with me, but signs point to something fucked up with my ears, because i spent most of last week without equilibrium and being unable to move my head without feeling like I was going to throw up and walking into more things than usual. I'm getting used to the constant ringing in my ears and really, who needs to move their head anyway? (It's kind of like being drunk and having the room spin, except I did not have the pleasure of getting drunk.) My doctor is on vacation until Jan. 7, so I did not seek medical attention and instead drank 24 cans of Diet Ginger Ale.

My fitness/diet (ha!) regimine has been seriously thrown off by the holidays and the swimmy head business, but I tried to recoup my losses (or more accurately, my gains) and hit the gym. I must say that the iPod Shuffle (aka the musical postage stamp) was particularly kind to me tonight and played songs I actually wanted to hear. I don't know where the Shuffle gets off claiming to play a random assortment of your music library because it clearly does not. No, my workout is soundtracked by the whims of a tiny silver dictator. And for some reason, it LOVES Leadbelly, which is all well and good, but he makes me want to kill myself rather than run another 20 minutes. Also, there are songs that I am convinced I am NEVER GOING TO HEAR because we need to play Coin Operated Boy 4 times in 20 minutes.

In speaking of dictators, I must confess that when the news revealed that Saddam Hussein had been executed I immediately went online to try and see the footage. I sort of hate myself for watching this, but I simply couldn't NOT watch. Luckily the video (clearly taken with someone's camera phone) was shakey and of poor quality, but still, it was pretty horrific. I found it a bit absurd that the media was all concerned about showing/not showing the execution when OBVIOUSLY it was going to be put on the internet 5 minutes after the event? I should totally be reading F. Scott Fitzgerald or something instead of watching this kind of stuff.

No comments: