Friday, December 22, 2006

Thursday-Yes-I-Realize-It's-Friday-13

My 13 Favorite Christmas Songs
(in no particular order, except the first one. Er, first TWO.)
1. Santa Baby- Even though I have no idea how even Santa could fit a DUPLEX into a christmas stocking.
2. Blue Christmas- But only when sung by Elvis. And never when sung by Porky Pig.
3. O Holy Night- My brother adores Mariah Carey's version, but I prefer Mahalia Jackson.
4. Good King Wenceslas- Admittedly it's not even about Christmas, rather St. Stephen's Day which is the 26th (aka Boxing Day), but I still like it.
5. Here we go a-wassailing- I think the best part about wassailing (besides singing to trees) is Ye Olde New England's interpretation: Although wassailing is often described in innocuous and sometimes nostalgic terms, the practice has not always been considered so innocent. In fact in early New England wassailing was associated with rowdy bands of young men who would enter the homes of wealthy neighbors and demand free food and drink in a trick-or-treat fashion. If the householder refused, he was usually cursed, and occasionally his house was vandalized. Nothing says Christmas like drunken vandalism!
6. O Little Town of Bethlehem- Even though it doesn't paint what I would consider to be a realistic picture of what Bethlehem was like. I mean, O little town of Bethlehem, how still we see thee lie! Dude, I was so there and there was nothing still about it. It was totally a party town.
7. Christmas on Christmas Island- Actually it was a toss up between this one and "Xmas on the Isthmus of Panama", but I would like to hang my stocking from a coconut tree regardless. (How can you not love a song that rhymes "isthmus" with Christmas? Brilliant!
8. Sleigh Ride- This song totally rocks. Even when performed by an 8th grade orchestra.
9. Jingle Bells- Especially when Diana Krall sings it, although the end is a bit bizarre; she says emphatically "I just really love horses!" I think she hit her head when her sleigh got upsot.
10. Carol of the Bells- It's actually kind of creepy, and makes me feel frantic, like I suddenly realized it's Christmas and I haven't done a thing to get ready. Shit.
11. Holly and Ivy- All wholesome and traditional. Like me.
12. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen- Ahhh. Comfort and Joy, like a hot cup of wassail. Just the thing to save me from Satan's Power when I have gone astray.
13. We Three Kings- The darker side of Christmas, all doom and gloom and bitter perfume.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!




No comments: