Monday, May 23, 2005

It's like waving a T-bone in front of a dog

Completely ignoring the 40% chance of rain, Forrest, Adam, Scott, newbie Mike and I headed up to Whitehorse Ledge. The rain held off until long after we had finished Standard Route, 8 pitches up to the summit. Here are some photos from Forrest's camera phone. Please note that I look like some sort of forest ranger on the Ewok planet.

Once again, I realized just how fucking in love with multi-pitch climbing I am. As soon as Forrest mentioned that he wanted to hit Whitehorse this past weekend, I started drooling. Nothing, not even a threat of rain, was gonna keep me from hanging 600 feet off the side of that crag. I did, however, manage to avoid the Crimson Chrysalis Needing to Pee episode, which was nice. Nothing ruins a climb like the threat of urine running down your leg.

So, the next big thing is that I need to start placing my own gear. I almost did on this trip, but Adam wasn't sure if the next belay had a bolted anchor or if I had to build my own. I had visions of getting up to the non bolted belay ledge and being completely out of gear because I had placed it ALL on the way up. Next time...

Post script: How to flatter me beyond belief, You haven't lead yet? You'll have no trouble, you are a strong fucking climber.

No comments: