Thursday, September 08, 2005

A Heartbreaking Work of Waddling Genius



Last night, I dragged my sister to see "March of the Penguins" with me. As she put it, Being a penguin totally sucks. If you have not seen this movie and had your heart broken into a jillion pieces, I reccommend that you do.

After the movie, and after going to Target where I managed to spend $39 even though I was only there to pick up some cat food and some dish washer soap, (you know, for my DISHWASHER that WASHES DISHES?), my sister and I were walking up the stairs to my apartment and there was a huge CENTIPEDE lurking in a corner of the stairwell. If there is one thing that I CANNOT STAND it is centipedes. And millipedes. And any "pedes" with a ridiculous number of legs. I am better than I used to be about it though. In college, I lived in a house that was FULL OF CENTIPEDES. I was in a near constant state of hysteria because you never knew where the little fuckers would be lurking. This one time, I was in the bathroom, and I had just sat down to pee and I happened to glance to my left and see one perched on the side of the sink, MERE INCHES FROM MY FACE! It scared me so bad, that I fell off the toilet and ran screaming into the kitchen, pants around my ankles and pee streaming down my legs. Not one of my finer moments.

Anyway, I have decided that centipedes KNOW when you are freaked out by them. If you don't care, they just do their centipede thing and pretty much leave you alone. However, if they sense you are afraid, they tend to do things like rear up on like 50 of their stupid legs and wave the other 50 at you in a menacing fashion before lunging at you.

That is exactly what happened last night, as soon the the "pede" knew that we were freaked out, it was no longer content to crawl up the wall, it had to race after us, chace us up the stairs and come ever closer as I fumbled with my keys in the door. Of course, we managed to get inside and slam the door just in the nick of time.

*shudder*

No comments: