Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Ok, the endorphins are back in check. Somewhat.

And I think I can write with more lucidity.
Here goes...

So, I have been thinking a lot about acupuncture (duh), and why it works, how it works, the history of TCM (traditional Chinese Medicine), and how it relates and differs from Western Medicine.

Being raised on "western medicine", of course, I am inclined to disbelieve anything that contradicts this, or can't be logically explained by it. I mean, the idea of sticking needles into various parts of your body to alleviate problems in other parts of your body by redirecting your "life force", sounds a bit weird. But then again, most of Modern Medicine, has been developed in the last 150 years, and eating moldy bread to cure infections seems a bit weird too.

I don't want to get into some kind of acu-rant, here, but all I can say is that my treatment yesterday worked SO MUCH BETTER than any of the drugs or "western" treatments that I have used. Who knows, maybe it's just positive thinking on my part, but that has been MEDICALLY PROVEN to help cure illness, so where is this line that i keep wanting to draw between the two?

I guess that the thing that most appeals to me about acupuncture and some other "alternative medicines" is the fact that they treat the body as a whole. Which, it is, right? Yeah, sure its made up of individual parts and they can get wonky and malfunction and stuff, but the parts work together. That's especially obvious when your anxiety makes your heart race and your stomach feel like expelling some kind of acid spitting demon. So, yeah, I like that this therapy is working on ALL OF ME instead of just my brain chemicals. And it worked a HELL of a lot better than any of the drugs I have been on.

I have been watching a lot of David Lynch movies lately, and have been more willing to suspend my belief of reality in order to get what the hell is going on. Maybe this is part of the trick with acupuncture? Just letting it happen without trying to dwell too much on WHY it's happening, and enjoying the ride.

And for crap's sake, despite what critics want to say about it, it made my fucked up head feel a whole lot better. And that is exactly what I am looking for.

No comments: