Thursday, December 08, 2005

A Post about The Climbing

Yes, I know, who cares? Lately, not even me. I was catching up on my reading the other day and looking over the October Issue of Climbing Magazine, and it was the special "Bouldering Issue", and IT WAS BORING. I am not interested in bouldering ONE BIT. There. I said it. Now onto the climbing...

Boulder and I made the death trek into Boston to climb at Metro Rock. I love climbing there, I really do. However, I do not love Paying $12 and having to drive for what amounts to almost TWO HOURS. Seriously. In traffic. Gah.

But, we made it. And met up with Forrest and did some climbing. I have been feeling pretty crap about my climbing latey. The summer was awesome, but I spent most of it learning to place gear on climbs that were way below my limit. Which is good. And safe. And proper. But no so helpful in maintaining one's strength. Mentally, I am a climbing MASTER, physically, however, I am kind of a wuss.

So, I was just expecting to putz around on some fairly easy stuff, get pumped out, and go home. Instead, I raced up an overhung 5.8 jug haul, stemmed up a 5.10b/c chimney, and almost flashed a 10c crimpy, balancy arete. It all felt great. I wasn't stressed or chasing number grades, I was just climbing for the pure enjoyment of climbing. Hot Dog! If only everything in life were that easy.

Unfortunately, my new "arch supports" are making ALL OF MY SHOES NOT FIT RIGHT. Which makes me extremely grumpy and unreasonable. Especially, when PT can't promise that he will not eat Jalepeno Cheddar Cape COd Potato Chips without me.

Him: I don't understand why you are making such a huge deal about CHIPS.
Me: It's not about the chips, it's about your unwillingness to do even the smallest thing to make me happy.
Him: But, still... they are just chips.
Me: Fine. Then why don't you and your mom and Ninja sit around your lovely home in Providence and STUFF YOUR SELVES WITH JALEPENO CHEDDAR POTATO CHIPS while I am up here doing something really unpleasant, like working, or painting the kitchen. And then, make sure you call me and tell me HOW GREAT THE CHIPS ARE!
Him: *laughs* I lit the evergreen potpourri for you so the house would smell nice when you came home. Isn't that nice?
Me: Not as nice as sharing chips with someone you care about.

No comments: