Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Schooligan Nation: More complete from Bear to Zzzzz

Despite there being a Texas Ranch House marathon on the TV, Emily and I headed up to Mount Monadnock for an afternoon hike (Or as Timmycliff put it, an approach without a climb.) It was a bit of a slog for me due in no part to my Margarita consumption the night before. We sumitted and crouched down behind a boulder to much some clif bars and blueberry poptarts and get out of the wind.

The trip down was... uneventful. Until we were about 2/3 the way back to the car and rounded a bend and came upon a BEAR hanging out on the side of the trail. We stopped short and simultaneously had this reaction:
"Oh cool. It's a bear."
"OHMYGOD it's a BEAR!!!"

Lucky for us, Mr. Fuzzy Ears wasn't having a bad day or a sudden desire to maul. We looked at each other for half a minute and then he turned around and ambled away.

I just want to thank the Duggar Family for being so crazy. If it weren't for your 16 kids we might not have been talking animatedly and alerting the BEAR to our presence and instead surprised him and gotten ourselves mauled. You saved our lives.

Not having beat my body up quite enough, I went up to Rumney on Saturday with Rob adn Alissa. It was a perfect day for climbing and I was enjoying myself so much that I allowed Rob to convince me to get on this ridiculously vicious 5.10d at Triple Corners. Actually it was more like, "Oh, your gear is at the top, so if you want it back..." I fall for this every time. Those Schooligans, they just don't learn.

I managed to completely mangle my hands jamming a crack over and over and over while failing to do the crux move. You'd think I'd remember to tape up. (See above, re: not learning.) I eventually finished the route and retrieved my gear but not before starring in "Hang Fest 2006." Oy.

So, I haven't been sleeping very well. Or very much. I'm not sure why as I am not feeling bad or anxious in any other way. (I mean other than the usual, "Cat, you did NOT just knock over those flowers and spill water all over my bank statement!") I just couldn't seem to fall asleep and wake up rested. No matter what. So I went to see my doc on Monday. She gave me some Ambien in the hopes that it would help reset my sleep timer. She also made me promise to call her if had any concerns. Or, you know, drove my car into a tree or something. So far, so good.

No comments: