Sunday, May 21, 2006

The Upside to Hiking in the Rain

Newt

Once again, I dragged my sister on one of my hair-brained misadventures. In my defense, however, it was sunny when we left. Once we got to Williamsburg, it was decidedly overcast and threatening rain.

I had picked this particular hike because it included a Fire Tower which we hoped would be like the one in the worst movie ever. Of course we didn't actually want to be pursued by "cannibalistic mountain men grossly disfigured through generations of in-breeding" but it did make the hike more exciting. Oh wait, that was the rain storm.

We were probably 2 miles from the car when it started raining. Hard. And since it was perfectly sunny when we left home this morning I had neglected to bring my rain jacket.

Before it really started coming down, we had the good fortune to see some newts on the trail. Or salamanders. I don't pretend to know the difference, but let's be honest here, NEWT is a much funner word to say. Newt!

Eventually, we made it back to the car and it promptly stopped raining and the sun came out.

I took my sister to Bub's where I introduced her to the awesomeness that is Bar-B-Que. Oh man. If there's anything better than a pulled pork sandwich and a juke box with unlimited free plays after being rained on for an hour, I don't know what it is.

4 comments:

Froggie said...

Ahh... gotta love the weather. Beautiful when you don't need it to be... miserable when you are trying to enjoy the outdoors. Cool find on the newt/salamander. :) What a neat little red guy.

Anonymous said...

Ahh everyone I talk to about hiking says that Bub's is the perfect after hike stop

Anonymous said...

Awwwww! Little red sally! I love them!

elaine said...

Better than pulled pork sandwich ... 1/2 PP sandwich + a good sized serving of bbq brisket.

Ohh and yay for avocodos, glad you finaly got some real ones.