Thursday, June 08, 2006

Thursday Thirteen


Thirteen Books I Have Read Repeatedly Until They Fell Apart.
1. The Little House on the Prairie Series, especially The Long Winter, Little Town on the Prairie and Farmer Boy.
2. James Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, including during my Undergrad Commencement. I don't know what it is about his descriptions of religious ferver that I like so much, but man, are they good!
3. The Adrian Mole Diaries. Before Bridget Jones, Before the Nanny, there was Adrian. Loveable, clueless and British.
4. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe- Fannie Flagg. The movie, although good, was nowhere near as amazing as the book.
5. Florence King's Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady. I have literally gone through 3 copies of this book. And have used it's life lessons on numerous occasions.
6. The Johnny Dixon Mysteries- John Bellairs. As a kid these books scared me senseles. As an "adult" (hahahaha, who am I kidding?) I am amazed at how well written they are and how scholarly and just good. See especially, Revenge of the Wizard's Ghost, The Mummy The Will and the Crypt, and The Trolley to Yesterday.
7. Bridget Jones' Diary- Helen Fielding. Very few books are ligitimately and consistantly "laugh out loud" funny. This one is. The movie is not.
8. The Devil Wears Prada- Lauren Weisberger. As a glutton for celebrity gossip and fashion magazines, this book was practically written for me. Though, thankfully, not about me.
9. The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven- Sherman Alexie. Only the saddest, funniest, most brilliant collection of short stories, um, ever. I force just about everyone I meet to read it. The movie adaptation, Smoke Signals, is fucking phenomenal as well. I am a little in love with this guy.
10. Old Bones the Wonder Horse- Mildred Mastin Pace. Yes, I adore kids books about horses. Even the crappy ones. This one, about an unlikely champion, rocks.
11. And on that note, Black Beauty- Anna Sewell.
12. Into Thin Air- Jon Krakauer. Fascinated by Everset even though I have no desire to ever go there.
13. Bastard out of Carolina- Dorothy Allison. I really really love books by Southern women. I think I was southern in a past life.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!



5 comments:

Heather/SHTEZQ said...

I love this thirteen I think reading takes you place you could never dream of going in life happyTT!

Anonymous said...

I love to read, and several of your favorites are mine as well. I love horses!

Susan said...

I love many of these and see some I'd like to add to my list. The Devil Wears Prada is on my nightstand and I really want to read it with the movie coming out!! I'm finishing Tales of Desperaux and Wicked right now.

My TT is up here.

Froggie said...

Awesome list... I've only read one of the books on your list... "Black Beauty", but have been looking for a couple of new ones to get. Think I'm going to put some of those on my shopping list. Thanks for sharing!!

Just D said...

1, 4, and 13 are ones I've read a lot too... reading is my escape (uh, aside from blogging!)