Monday, January 28, 2008

My 30 List

As in, Things to do before I turn.

At the top of the list was 'Climb 5.11a'. I have actually been somewhat serious about my climbing as of late, hitting the gym semi-regularly and both climbing smartly and cranking hard when I am there. I've been successfully climbing 5.10's, a,b and c, with a few onsights to boot. So, all in all I considered myself in pretty good shape to tick an .11 by the end of April.

Went to the gym yesterday afternoon with Forrest and warmed up on an .8+, then jumped right into some .9's and easy .10's. I was a little worried that I was going to tire myself out pretty quickly, but I felt really good and I was climbing well, so I kept on keeping on. Towards the end of the evening, Forrest belayed this MIT dude up an .11a that had just been put up. It was the perfect candidate for my first attempt: a balance-y route that lead up to a lot of stemming through a wide chimney at the top. I was feeling pretty good, albeit a bit tired, so I decided to give it a go. (Also MIT dude had said that the grade was a little inflated, so I thought I might have a shot.)

About 2/3 of the way up the route, I suddenly had a thought: I'm actually going to climb this! And I did. I had a small bobble at the last move, so technically, I didn't get it clean. But I did get the move on the 2nd try. And I'll totally get it clean the next time.

Now I have absolutely no reason to turn 30. Woo hoo!

1 comment:

elaine said...

and I wuz there! you're climbing so strong this year, Yay!